Google
 

March 30, 2007

London Underground


I love the public transport system in London. It's so easy to get around and you can get from point A to point B by bus or underground. They also installed the new Oyster card system, which is similar to the Octopus card system in Hong Kong. Basically, you can just touch your Oyster card whenever you board the tube or bus. It is so easy to use and I have been using that in Hong Kong since 1997 or so. I think it's one of the best innovations in the world. It helps us reduce the spare change that we have to keep in our pocket.

Anyway, one of the bad things about the London underground is that it always has some signal problems that cause delays in certain lines. In addition, for some reason, they have to shut down several lines on the weekend for maintenance work. I somehow wonder why they can't do the repair work at night. After trying out various underground or subway systems in the world, I still give London Underground a positive rating!

Of course, I still think that that Japanese subway and the Hong Kong MTR are the best. Once you try it once, you just wonder why the rest of the world can't build something like that to reduce the number of cars on the road. I am a big proponent of the public transport system!

No comments: