Google
 

July 03, 2007

"A Mighty Heart" and Nouvelle Vauge - In a Manner of Speaking


Over the weekend, I got a chance to see a movie called "A Mighty Heart", which is an adaptation from the book written by Mariane Pearl, the wife of Daniel Pearl. Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and killed in Pakistan in 2002. The movie more like a docu-dram which illustrates the disappearance, the investigation, and the subsequent discovery of the death of Daniel Pearl. Angelina Jolie did a fantastic job in portraying Mariane Pearl in the movie, without exaggerating the trauma that Mariane endured during the disappearance and the subsequent death of her beloved husband. It is particularly welcoming to know that movie does not take any political side. It merely states the entire incident of Daniel's disappearance and the internal turmoil that Mariane experienced during that period of time.

Daniel Pearl happened to be a graduate of Stanford University, where I did my graduate studies in Sociology. I remember hearing a lot about his death at Stanford during my time there but I didn't put much time to figure out the story behind his death. If you want to read more about Daniel Pearl's life, I'd suggest that you check out his entry in wikipedia.

When the end credits were showing on the screen, my attention was completely grabbed by the song "In a manner of Love" by Nouvelle Vague. It's such a beautiful song that I couldn't help but downloaded the entire album by Nouvelle Vauge. Click on the name of the song and it will redirect you to the song in YouTube.

By the way, I did a very stupid thing by searching the video shot by the terrorists showing the death of Daniel Pearl. The movie referred to the video a lot so I was intrigued by what actually was shown on it. I should have never done that because I ended up feeling so troubling that I couldn't fall asleep!

No comments: