Google
 

March 30, 2007

Canterbury, Reculver, and Maidstone



During my second day in London, I took the SE rail to go to see my high school teacher in Maidstone. It happened that she was on a term break when I was there. So, I got to hang out with her for a day. She picked me up at the Barming train station and took me to Canterbury to see the cathedral. I have heard of Canterbury before I have never been there before. Of the 2 times I have been to England before, I only got to go to Cambridge, London, and Maidstone. It was the 1st time that I got to see other parts of England as well.

Canterbury is a nice little town in the Southeastern part of England. I won't bore you with the history of it but my teacher did give me a detailed background of the Canterbury Catherdal on our way there. You can see the rest of the pictures I took there on my online album.

We walked around Canterbury for an hour and stopped by the Rupert Bear Museum there. I had no idea what it was but my teacher told me that it was a popular cartoon character in England. Every British kid has heard of it. It's like Big Bird or Cookie Monster in the Sesame Street. We also stopped by to visit a very old hospital there. I was excited to see the countryside of England. It's absolutely beautiful, tranquil, and peaceful. I think I won't mind getting a place there as a vacation house.

After going to Canterbury, my teacher took me to Reculver. It was along the coastline of SE England. It has a breath-taking view along the coastal walk. You got to see the wind power generator standing in the middle of the English Channel. We walked around for about an hour before we headed home for dinner.

I was lucky enough for a second day in a row that someone did gourmet home cooking for me. My teacher was doing the cooking this time and the dinner was so tasty. I still vividly remember how good a cook she is. I love the paella that she made when we were back in Hong Kong. We also had a good chat at the dinner and we were shocked that we have known one another for 12 years. A lot happened between then and now and I am very thankful that she always stands by me when I need her. She helped me a lot when I was having a hard time in high school and when I first moved to North Carolina and then Kentucky for Pharmacy School. Without her help, I probably won't be here at this point in my life.

Thank you Sally! You are the best!

No comments: