Google
 

August 27, 2006

One Hour Before You Die


If you knew that you were going to die in the next hour or so, who would you call and what would you say to the party on the other side of the phone?

Despite the fact that it's a rhetorical question, many of us never give a second thought when we meet someone in-person or talk to someone on the phone. How could you be 100% sure that that won't be the last time you would ever speak to the person? I am not trying to be a pessimist but am merely trying to point out the reality that nothing is for certain in our world. Many of us take things and people around us for granted and forget to be thankful for little things happen in their life or love each person around them.

Tonight, I took the chance to pick up the original A&E channel movie, Flight 93, which is a reconstruction of the event happened on UA 93 on September 11, 2001. I couldn't help crying when I watched the movie and listened to the conversations between the passengers and their families. The passengers knew that they were going to die. They were making their last call to talk to someone that they loved dearly. Some of them called their parents, while some called their significant others. Imagine if you were on the plane, who would you call and what would you tell your loved one?

The movie makes me think more about what I want in life and what I want to achieve. I am not hero but I do want to make a significant and positive impact of people's lives. I want people to learn how to value and treasure every thing, every person they have in their lives. Somehow I find that this core value is missing in my life. I wish there were more that I could do to help the people around me. I want everyone around me to know that they have a purpose on earth and they do many a significant impact on me, no matter how trivial that is. It can be a single laugh in the office or a stupid thing we do together.

I want to dedicate this post to the loving friends and families that I have in my life. They are all heroes in my life.

Also, if you have a chance, I'd encourage you to read this excellent website which details the life of each person on Flight 93. I hope everyone of the victim's families will know that we are still moaning with them five years after the event.

No comments: